ST PATRICKS CHURCH , LOWER GLANMIRE ROAD
The building of St. Patrick's Church began in 1832 A.D. It was to be a Chapel of Ease to the Cathedral parish and replace the "Brickfield Masshouse" nearer the river which stood further down the Strand Road in the vicinity of the present Glanmire Railway Terminus (Kent Station). Because a brick factory occupied this site it was called Brickfield Chapel. This name lived on in the new chapel although it was some distance up the road. It was the 1829 Emancipation Act that encouraged Catholics to select this prominent position for their house of worship. The building of St. Patrick's was entrusted to a young architect from London, George Pain, who planned a handsome edifice in grecian style..